chewing gumShow most recent or highest rated first. Common beliefs in this section include:
I used to believe that the bubble gum medicine was really made of bubble gum. i believed this until i was 16.
I used to belive that, if you swallowed your chewing gum, you'd fart bubbles...
I was told that there was a kid down the street who would always swallow his chewing gum. Eventually he swallowed so much, and since gum doesn't get digested in your stomach, he had to be rushed to the emergency room one day to have his stomach pumped. I am still not sure if this is true or not but I don't swallow my chewing gum. If anyone can clue me in on this let me please know.
When I was about 5 years old, I had a bad habit of swallowing gum. One day my grandmother told me if I swallowed too much gum, it would stick my "poopers" together and I would never be able to go to the bathroom again. I was so terrified of accidentaly swallowing another piece that I didn't chew gum again until I was about 12.
My mom made me believe that when u swallowed ur chewing gum, it would get all sticky, and stick in your intestines
I used to believe that the black gum balls used for eyes in some ice creams where balls of poison, so I never got those kinds.
Once when we were in the woods, my father said he wanted to show me a gum tree. He led me over to a small tree that had pieces of Dentyne gum stuck to the branches. I don't know if he taped them there or hung the wrappers from the branches some way, but I was young enough that I believed what I saw: gum grew on trees. Another time he said, "Let's look in the creek to see if any pop washed down there." He then led me down to a creek where he must have stuck some soda earlier to cool. He was always playing tricks like this. I think it wasn't so much that he was a prankster as that he wanted the world to be a magical place.
I used to believe that if you swallowed chewing gum, that it could not be digested, instead, the body deposited the wad of gum into the appendix. Once the appendix became too full of gum, then that person would have to have his appendix removed. I always spit my gum out as a kid, and now I don't even chew gum anymore.
I was told that when you eat Cinnaburst Gum, you can eat the wrapper and all.
I tried it, and found out otherwise...
Then I began trying this theory on other types of foods (ie: ice cream, candy bars, etc).
To this day I still wonder what I was thinking, and what the person who told me that was thinking.
In pre-school and kindergarten, it was common knowledge that if you swallowed your gum, it would take 7 years to digest. Nobody would do it because we figured we'd run out of room for food after a while. Years later, people began to question it, but really no one was sure. I don't think I quit believing that until the middle of high school.
My grandmother used to tell my mother not to swallow her gum. She said that the body couldn't digest the gum and that it would just stick to her colon for her whole life. My mom says that she used to picture this tube covered in gum and worried that it would get clogged.
My mum use to tell us that if we swallowed bubbly gum, it would stick to our hearts.
There was a popular rumor back in grade school that BUBBLE YUM gum was made with spider eggs.
My mum told me that if you ate fruit pips they were stored in your appendix, and that if you ate too many you would get appendicitis. She also told me the one about chewing gum wrapping round your heart if you swallowed it. It's a wonder I ate anything when I was small.