dangerous foodShow most recent or highest rated first.
My dad told me that if I ate raw spaghetti noodles they would poke holes in my stomach and everything I ate would come out. My grandmother even confirmed it. Funny, I never had stomach problems until I stopped eating uncooked pasta.
While playing in the kitchen as my mom cooked, I asked her about the bottle of vanilla extract that she was using for eggnog. I asked what it tasted like, and she said I shouldn't try it. I asked if I drank it would it poison me and she said yes (I imagine she was suggesting that drinking the bottle would make me sick). To this day I believe that vanilla extract will poison you.
My brother convinced me that if you ate a potato chip with green on the edges, you got cancer. Still can't eat a green chip today.
I was always told that any berry in the woods was totally poisonous, but I eventually lived dangerously and ate wild raspberries without letting my parents or other adults see. I'm still alive!
When I was 5, my father informed me that if I ate 10 Oreo cookies I would explode. I believed him for several years.
My dad always told us that pancake batter and cornbread batter would eat a hole in your stomach if you ate it raw. Because it has a bit of a bite to it, I COMPLETELY believed him. He said cookie batter and such just gave you worms, so I didn't mind sneaking some of that now and then.
When I was in kindergarten I was introduced to those weird, uniformly shaped potato chips known as Pringles. "Don't eat those," my dad warned me. "They'll make your hair fall out."
"Really?" I said. My dad often told me things that weren't true. But this time there was irrefutable evidence.
He rubbed a hand over his shiny bald head. "Well, look at me."
Also, I harbored the belief (until fairly recently) that botulism was *caused* by dented cans, and that if I dented a can, the food preserved within would be seething with botulism in no time.
I have no idea where I got this from, but I remember thinking that the little red berries that grew on some trees were highly toxic, so much in fact that I used to hold my breath and run under the trees - in case I accidentally inhaled one. Oh yeah - my mates also told me that it took you 7 years to digest chewing gum - I swallowed it anyway, and still do :-P
We were always told that if we drank vinegar our blood would dry up
My mother once told me that you had to cut off the ends of cucumbers, and rub them on the tips of the vegetable to remove the poison. I did that for many years, when cooking for myself, until I realized it was just another of her
'myths', which she had plenty.
i used to believe that if you ate mcdonalds for lunch for more than
7 days in a row you would die . This came about after a lesson at
first school in which a teacher told us only fruit and vegetables had
vitamins in and you need them to live.
For some reason i thought mcdonalds contained no vitamins so if
you kept eating them you died. i was an odd kid!
When I started first grade, the "big kids" (i.e., third graders) in the school cafeteria told me some kids had died from food poisoning after eating cafeteria food. I believed them and brought lunch in a lunchbox that whole year.
My mom has always believed that eating watermelon and drinking milk would poison you. I have never had the two at the same time because of it.
I used to think that if you ate the black bits on chips you would instantly die of cancer.
When my parents were out and my Sister looked after me, she used to make up a drink from jelly cubes. I used to love this but after I had drunk it she said if I stopped moving it would set in my stomach as a big jelly...so I would keep jiggling about for about an hour.
As a child I used to believe that eating butter would make your hair fall out. My mother told me this. I grew up and shaved my head bald several times. Maybe she was sorta right.
My dad told me if you ate banana skins you would get elaphantitis(huge swollen legs)
And the wind blowing in the telegraph wires was the devil singing
when i was 5, i believed easter egg dye was kool-aid. i finally drank it one easter. it didn't taste every good.
I used to believe that the middle chocolate part of a feast ice cream was poisonous, i once saw my dad eating one and thought he was going to die. I shouted out for him to stop eating it and every one laughed at me.
I used to believe that the inside part of the banana was posonous, but fortunately the outside part was the antidote, so as long as you ate the whole thing, you'd be fine. I was told this by a microbiologist when I was 9 and believed him utterly.