dangerous foodShow most recent or highest rated first.
page 24 of 29
< 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 >
My mom told me that if I ate uncooked cookie dough I would get worms living in my stomach. This fear lasted for years, even after ice cream companies started making varieties with names like "Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough". Later, as a young adult, I cautioned another adult who was licking the (cookie) bowl clean. My warning was greeted with a smirk followed by howls of laughter and accusations of believing everything my mother told me! Someone did tell me that uncooked flour can contain worms, but I think my mother was trying to protect the cookie dough more than she was trying to protect me!
I had a weird obsession with eating raw potatoes, and i don't think it bothered my mother, but she once told me that my cousin's frends had eaten heaps of potatoes to get their temperature up so they didn't have to go to uni. This i found fascinating, and so I ate even MORE than the normal amount of raw potatoes and thought my temperature would go up, but it didn't. So i figured i was completely immune to diseases (i wish! I even had the german measles, so much for IMMUNITY) HA!
I also heard the rumor about pop rocks and drinking pepsi. I tried it once, and I ended up having really bad gas, but at the time I thought I was dying. I also was told that if you drink orange juice after you drink the milk off of your cereal, you'll throw up. This doesn't happen either.
The first time I had peanut brittle, I broke out in chicken pox the next day. Scientific evidence that peanut brittle causes chicken pox!
My older brother wanted all the orange juice to himself, so, to keep me out of it, drew up a skull and crossbones label with "poison" written all over it, and stuck it onto the orange juice pitcher. He then warned me to stay away from the deadly stuff. It didn't work. I can still remember him holding the pitcher up out of my reach, while I jumped for it and shouted "I drinka poison!!!"
My grandmother used to say "you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die", and not having any idea of the weight or measurement of a peck I believed that when you reached that limit of a "peck", you just automatically dropped down dead. It was my job to scrub the vegetables before cooking and you better believe I scrubbed the heck out of them.
my husband is still convinced that the cornflakes he ate one morning for his breakfast caused him to have to have his appendix out later that day. he shudders if he sees our son eating them.
My mom had me believing that if I ate chocolate I would break out in these horrible hives. She told everyone to make sure that I 'stay away from chocolate' because I was 'allergic.' When I finally had chocolate at someone's house, nothing happened. Now, as Mom is a huge chocoholic, I can only conclude that she didn't want competition for her stash...
When I was an 8 year old boy, my mom used to tell me that if I ate the fatty part of my steak that I would grow breasts (I loved eating the fat, so I assume she was trying to scare me away from it). I thought the undigested piece of fat would travel right to the breast and get deposited under the skin. I was scared off for a while...I'm 28 now and I still eat the fat. No breasts yet....
I used to believe that if you ate eggs for breakfast everyday you'd get pregnant...
When AIDS was first announced to the public, there was a diet candy called Aids. I used to think that if you ate Aids candy you would get AIDS.
As a child I loved pepperoni. My dad told me that if I ate the skin on pepperoni my toes would turn red. I completely trusted he was telling me the truth and was very careful not to eat the skin.
When I was young (about 4 or 5) my older brother told me those tiny strawberries that grew wild in our yard were poisonous. When I was thirty one a neighbot offered me some. They were delicious. I'm mad that I missed out all those years. Brothers!
When I was young my mother told me not to eat fish and drink milk at the same meal. If I did I would die. When I was about 13 I got brave enough to try it and found, of course, that it was not true. I must have, deep down, not really believed it or I wouldn't have tried it. Nobody would deliberately eat something that was going to kill them.
My parents told me not to drink out of the milk container because I'd get germs in it and then people could get sick when they drank the milk. So one time I was drinking a glass of milk and my dad drank the rest of the milk out of the carton to finish it off. I thought I was going to get sick because I was drinking the milk that came out of that carton!
For some reason I always check underneath everything I eat, I don't know why but I always claimed that food was hiding something. People used to laugh, until the day I found string in my salad, they were soon eating their words!!!!
I was told as a child that if you ate bannans you would grow a tail and become a monkey. I didn't eat any but I sure fed a lot of them to my little brother since I wanted a monkey.
I used to believe that yucky food such as brussel-sprouts were evil and that they would haunt you after you've eaten them.
My teacher told me one time~when I ate the unpopped popcorn, the unpopped popcorn would pop in my stomach.
Eating cookies when they're still warm from the oven will make you violently ill. That's why you have to ask Mommy before you take one.