dangerous foodShow most recent or highest rated first.
When I was in 6, I learned that a classmate at school was allergic to some food or another (peanuts, I think) but I didn't know what an allergy was. I asked and was told that "if you're allergic to something it means you can't eat that food."
Well, I HATED stewed squash, so I told everyone that I was allergic to squash because I thought that was what "allergic" meant. People were horrified when they found out that my parents made me eat my squash even though I was"allergic to it." Now I like stewed squash and eat it with no ill effects.
When I was about 4 years old, my sister told me that the mushrooms that grew in our yard in the summer were poisonous mushrooms that would kill you if you ate them. So, I always imagined someone walking down the sidewalk, taking a bite out of a mushroom, and shooting straight up into the sky to go to heaven.
When I was about 4 or 5, my sister said cookie dough was bad for you, so I thought if you had more than 2 or 3 pieces of it, I would die!!!!
I used to eat tooth paste because it tasted like buubble gum and then my maom gave me 2-1 mouthwash toothpaste and told me mouthwash was poisinous so i wouldn't eat it but I forgot and Ate it an hour later i got a head ake and thought i was dieing. LOL
I used to believe that if you ate rice and water and jumped up and down you would explode. Thanks Dad.
Whenever my sisters and I used to get Halloween candy, my mother would makes us check them by turning them around in order to find any rips or suspicious tears. I thought that by turning them enough, the “poison” went away.
I used to think "firecrackers" we're some kind of really spicy cracker.
My mum used to tell me that black fruit pastilles were poisonous to children so every time I ate fruit pastilles she would eat the black ones for me. I believed she was doing me a favour!
When i was 7 I was often caught red-handed raiding the cookie jar at night at grandma's. That was until my aunt told that once I'd taken over 20 cookies the Sesame Street Cookie Monster I loved so much would turn evil and mean to come and get the cookies I'd taken without permission.........I didn't eat cookies again until I was 16.
When I was little, whenever we baked a cake, my mum told me not to lick the bowl too much or I would get worms. I never really understood what that meant, and I imagined that slimy multicoloured worms would grow on the roof of my mouth.
when I was about 5, we would go out as a family and get ice-cream over the weekend. My dad had nearly finished his cone and I had hardly eaten mine, so he said "Sarah! Nooooo stop eating your cone, whats that?" pointing at my cone. There was a tiny speck of chocolate or something on the ice cream, so I looked at him and he said, "Its a bomb, you better trade with me, my cone is safe!" So I did! Thats the reason why today I weigh 120 pounds and He weighs like 290!
My grandmother would tell me that if you had grapes and then go outside on a hot day that you would get drunk. I secretly tried just to see how it felt to get drunk, but it didn't work.
In kindergarten I thought the tail end of shrimps were poisonous so I would meticulously cut off the ends. I remember thinking it was odd that my school would leave poisonous items on food kids were eating. I have NO idea where this belief came from.
When I was young my Dad told me that if you put alot of soy sauce on your food that would be poison. It was ok to use a little, but pretty tricky business as a little kid trying to figure out what amount would be just right and not poisonous.
When I was in primary school the dinnerladies always said 'eat all your food - that'll put hairs on your chest!' I assumed adults were always right and believed them. When lunch was over I realised i'd accidentally eaten all my food. Seeing as i'm female I wasn't too happy. I had to keep checking that I hadn't grown some kind of rug on my chest, and lay awake that night in fear.
When I was about ten, a friend of mine, who was a few years older, and whose mother was a pediatrician, told me that if you eat ramen, it temporarily makes your stupider. She said she only ate ramen during summer break so that she'd be smart when she was at school. I seriously believed her for a few months, then I went back to eating ramen. Sometimes I can still feel it shutting down my brain when I eat it.
You know those hard round lumps you sometimes find in a chicken nugget? I had heard something when I was about 6 or 7 about breast cancer lumps and thought that since the chicken nugget box said "made with all breast meat" I thought those lumps were breast cancer and if I ate it I would get breast cancer too
I used to believe jelly fish were made from jelly, and refused to eat jelly for years. My eldest sister told me that one!
I used to believe that drinking vinegar would turn you into a robot.
My sister's friend was told when she was 13 that if you have Pop Rocks candy in your mouth and take a sip of soda, you will explode. Being the bright child she was, she immediately tried it. It nearly worked. The soda made the candy flare up in her mouth, causing her to spew it all of the sink. It was one of the funniest things I ever saw.