dangerous foodShow most recent or highest rated first.
I believed until I was 16, that I was allergic to cream.
My mum used to take us to the bakers, and when my sister and I asked for eclairs, she told us we couldn't have it becuase we were allergic to cream.
It was only when I was in my late teens, when I was at my italian friends house, having pasta in a creamy sauce, and I hadn't dropped down dead or had a reaction, that I realised my mum must have lied, so she didn't have to buy us cakes!
She denies it now - reckons I'm making it up!!
I used to believe that hotdogs (as morbid as this is) were penises from dead men. I had a horrible fear of eating a hotdog.
When I was little I had a love of playing with Play-Doh. I learned to read when I was two, so I always knew that it said "Non-Toxic" on the can. I was told by someone, my mom probably, that it meant that if you ate it it wasn't poisonous. I took that to mean that I could eat all I wanted.
I used to love eating peanut butter and honey sandwiches as a kid, so one day my mom told me that I couldn't eat too many of them, because all the sticky foods would block up my insides. I only recently started eating peanut butter and honey sandwiches again... I'm almost 30 years old.
My brother and sister convinced me that my grandma died from eating too many bananas, I didn't eat any bananas for years.
I thought tonic water was toxic water and wondered why would anyone drink it if it is toxic?
When I was little, my dad, brother and I went to the supermarket to get cheese. The lady at the counter gave us each a sample of munster cheese, and told us that if we ate it, we would grow horns in the morning, and become monsters. I was terrified of munster cheese after that, and refused to eat it no matter what the circumstances were.
My son once asked my wife what she was doing. She said she was making develed eggs. He asked for one. She said they weren't ready. He said he would wait until she put the devil in them.
My grandma told my cousins and me that if we ate watermelon and then drank Pepsi it would kill us. I am 59 and still haven't tested that theory!!
My brother's friend told me when I was little that he had once found a snail in the crust of his pizza, in one of those crust bubbles. For years after that, I carefully dissected every crust bubble before eating my pizza.
When I was about 7 years old, I watched a show about atomic bombs. They mentioned that the destructive force was brought about by splitting atoms. For a long while after that show, I believed that there was a small chance that I could split an atom while doing something like cutting bread with a knife. I was always terrified that by cutting my jelly sandwich into halves, I may accidentally wipe my town off the map.
I didn't want to taste M&Ms at a birthday party, but my parents made me, and I found out that I liked them. I liked the red and yellow ones, but there were green and black ones too. Green and black were "boy-colors", so they were disgusting, and probably poisonous for girls.
When I was a kid, I was very afraid of chicken pot pies, and wondered why anyone would ever eat any such thing. It was probably because I wasn't yet clearly hearing a distinction between "chicken pot" and "chicken pox". So I must have been thinking of them as "chicken pox pies".
I used to think that every country had their own cheese and it was named after the country like the way we have American cheese (there would also be English cheese, Canadian cheese, German cheese, Chinese cheese and so forth) and that we could only eat the kind from the country that we are from. I thought it was illegal for us to have Swiss cheese in our market because we didn't have any of the other kinds of cheeses.
i used to believe that if i ate mushrooms they would grow on me
If you don't eat Potato Croquettes in under 1 minute they explode.
I assume sometime when I was a young child, I ate a banana and then requested another one. My mother, thinking that one piece of fruit was enough, told me "No, you'll get sick." For the longest time, I thought there was something special about bananas in that one was a tasty treat but two would make a person sick.
My grandmother used to say "you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die", and not having any idea of the weight or measurement of a peck I believed that when you reached that limit of a "peck", you just automatically dropped down dead. It was my job to scrub the vegetables before cooking and you better believe I scrubbed the heck out of them.
When I was a kid I used to love Burger King fish sandwichs (called the Whaler) with a vanilla milk shake. My mom (from Pakistan) told me I should never drink milk with fish or it would cause me to have huge white spots all over my body. Once we saw a lady with huge white spots and my mom told me she drank milk after eating fish. She said I could drink milk first then eat fish and I would be ok, but never the other way around. I would still drink my milk shake after the fish just waiting for the white spots to appear. They never did. But I figured if ever they did appear, i would just keep drinking milk and eating fish until my whole body turned white. Then I would look ok.
I finally realized this was a Pakistani myth. But my mom still believes it. So do some of my uncles.
When I was little, before I developed my perception of size, I use to be convinced I would fall down the holes in crumpets so would never go near the things!!!!