dangerous foodShow most recent or highest rated first.
When I was little I swallowed an ice cube and thought I was going to freeze.
I used to eat doggy chocs until my older brother told me that if I did I would have puppies.
I used to have phobia about seafood (shrimp, crabs, etc.) because I thought that they would slither up my face and crawl into one of my orifices. There it would proceed to nest and slowly eat my brain and lay eggs...
When I was in 6, I learned that a classmate at school was allergic to some food or another (peanuts, I think) but I didn't know what an allergy was. I asked and was told that "if you're allergic to something it means you can't eat that food."
Well, I HATED stewed squash, so I told everyone that I was allergic to squash because I thought that was what "allergic" meant. People were horrified when they found out that my parents made me eat my squash even though I was"allergic to it." Now I like stewed squash and eat it with no ill effects.
when I was in preschool our class had a st patricks day party and all the food was dyed green. someone told me that if I drank the green milk I'd turn into a leprechaun. Being the feisty lil rebel I was, I drank it anyways. A while later I started to think about the leprechaun thing and looked in the mirror. I noticed my ears were unusually pointy and became convinced they were right: I was a leprechaun!!!! It took me years to realize that my ears had been pointed forever, and it wasn't the symptoms of my descent into leprechaun-ness.
My older friend told me when I was a little girl that if I kept eating only the sugary marshmellow in the Lucky Charms that I would go to hell for being picky. Til this day I cannot eat the marshmellows alone.
I used to like to eat pats of butter when I was small, and my mother told me if I ate too much, a wall of butter would form around my heart and I would die.
My mom had me believing that if I ate chocolate I would break out in these horrible hives. She told everyone to make sure that I 'stay away from chocolate' because I was 'allergic.' When I finally had chocolate at someone's house, nothing happened. Now, as Mom is a huge chocoholic, I can only conclude that she didn't want competition for her stash...
Everytime I had a stomach I ache I thought I was dieing of rat poisoning. My dad had stored a candy baron top of our fridge. It had been there a week and so my little candy-staved brain assumed he forgot about it. I ate it. A week later my dad appeared to be in a panic and said that someone had eaten the candy bar he had posioned for the rats to eat. He was hoping to "out" the thief, but I was to afraid to tell him I ate it. I was convinced for years that I was going to die from eating that candy bar.
And I never stole candy again.
This is not my finest moment, but when I was 9, my best friend and I told her little sister that the seeds inside a banana were actually eggs from a banana spider. She was only 6 at the time and completely believed us. She didn't eat bananas for 3 years. Totally cruel!
My little brother used to think that ketchup was made of, as he called it, crushed lice... yes, lice. He had heard it somewhere and was convinced of some sort of ketchup conspiracy poisoning us. He refused to eat it therefore. Any time I, his sister, put ketchup on anything he was horrified and called me crazy :-) Ha ha
I once heard on Newsround that if you ate burgers and drank coke it would poison you. So when we went to MacDonalds I would always made sure that I ate a few chips in between eating my burger and drinking my coke. Always careful they didn't mix in my mouth as that would poison me.
My grandma always told me that vinegar would dry my blood - I loved vinegar but also used it sparingly worried that I might just end up with powder in my veins.
I used to believe that the white part of a watermelon rind was very poisonous. The red could be eaten only so far and the white must be avoided. With a mother that would not allow food to be wasted, nibbling close to the white part, as required by her, was nerve wracking.
I used to believe that if you ate eggs for breakfast everyday you'd get pregnant...
When I was little, my brother told me that cauliflower was actually a kind of coral. Apparently if it wasn't heated up a lot it was still alive and would cut up and poison the inside of my mouth when I went to eat it. That night we had some salad with cauliflower in it and I ended up running out the door and hiding for hours in fear. For about a year after I wouldn't even touch cauliflower until one day I explained to my mom why and she corrected my belief.
I used to believe, when i was about 4, that red skittles were poisonous. No one could convince me otherwise. But I knew the trick to getting the poison out was to let them sit somewhere until they became dusty, then eat them with the dust still on there. My mom claims she found red skittles shoved everywhere around the house.
My Mother told my sister and I age the seeds from bell peppers were a deadly poison. We dutifully helped her clean every seed from the peppers that she was adding to the salad. I remember thinking about how so many people must die needlessly from green pepper seed poisoning...
Dessert gelatin called Jello in the US was a nice treat that my mom would make my sister and me. I loved Jello except for the green Jello cause my sister told me that it was alive and that when tried to eat it it would scream and try to eat me back. I would cry and run from the table. Then I found out years later that she did this cause she wanted my dessert.
I don't remember why, but when I was about 7 I thought that touching raw turnips would burn you. I was helping my mom in the kitchen one day when she asked me to put some sliced turnips in a bowl. She was confused when I proceeded to put on gloves.