dangerous foodShow most recent or highest rated first.
When I was little I used to think that sugar cones were poisonous, and my dad could eat them because he had super powers and was immune to poison.
I used to believe that bed pans were called bread pans, and that nurses cooked the fried bread for breakfast in them. My mother asked the nurses if I was eating well and they told her that I ate everything except fried bread. She thought that was strange because I normally loved it, so she asked my why I wouldn't eat it. I told her I thought it was disgusting that they fried the bread in bread pans. She asked me what a bread pan was and I said - "you know, the thing you go to the toilet in". I expected her to be disgusted too and couldn't understand why she thought it was hilarious.
When I was young and my mom would be cooking a dinner consisting of pork chops I would ask what's for dinner and of course she'd say pork chops. But one time before she took them out of the package i read the label, it said Pork Loin Chops. I misconstrued the middle word to be Lion (like the beast in africa). I thought hmmm i guess mom wont tell me this meat is from a lion because me and my brothers (younger than i) would never eat such a thing. I thought this for a really long time and whenever mom would say we're having pork chops I'd kinda wink like i knew the inside secret that we couldn't let the younger ones know about.
When I was a child I was warned never to drink hot drinks through a straw. The warning seemed so dire that I thought the straw somehow turned hot drinks into poison and if I drank them that way I would die.
I used to believe that Big Macs were a strictly "male" food, and if a woman were to eat one, then the first time, she'd turn into a gigantic, obese, cursing "butch lady" with a cigarette permanently attached to her lips (like the Phone Sex lady on Beavis and Butt-Head, lol), and the second time she ate a Big Mac, she'd turn into a man altogether. Also, I believed that it was against the law for children to eat the "adult" meals at McDonald's, and vice versa--except for teenagers, who were so "old" that they were practically grown-ups anyway, at least in my young mind. ;)
When I was younger I heard about you might get salmonella if you eat eggs raw. I didn't know what it was and spent a lot of time wondering why would you get salmonella in egg since there isn't any salmon in it.
When I was younger, my dad used to make baby back ribs as a special dinner treat. For some reason I used to think that military-type secret agents used to break into people's homes and steal the back ribs off of babies. Being about 4 I still considered myself a baby and was always afraid that when my dad was making the ribs 'they' would break in and steal my ribs. I believed this until i was at least 10, however once I hit about 6 I was no longer a baby and therefore no longer in danger. Of course, even thinking baby back ribs were from humans I still ate them.
between the ages of 8-11 I was told by my uncle (who is only 3 years older than me) that the powdery stuff at the bottom of cereal boxes was rat poison. It was there so the mice and rats wouldnt get in the cereal boxes at night and eat our breakfast. For the longest time, even into adult hood after I knew better, I couldnt get myself to go any farther than 3/4 of the way into a box of cereal for fear some of the powder would get into my bowl...
I have no idea where I got this from, but I remember thinking that the little red berries that grew on some trees were highly toxic, so much in fact that I used to hold my breath and run under the trees - in case I accidentally inhaled one. Oh yeah - my mates also told me that it took you 7 years to digest chewing gum - I swallowed it anyway, and still do :-P
When my cousin was three he brought two glasses into the living room and said "Mommy, here's some lemonade for you." Such a thoughtful little boy. They both had to go to the hospital and have their stomachs pumped; he had made the drinks from a toxic cleaning product, believing it to be lemonade mix--and having learned that "it's nice to share." Fortunately both mother and son survived and the young mad chemist was not arrested.
I Used To Believe That Bananas Turn People Into Monkeys. My Brother Told Me This. He Told Me That The Little Monkeys Were Kids That Ate Bananas. So I Don't Eat Bananas.
I was told that darth vader sounded the way he did because he got a nut stuck in his throat whilst eating it.
I wouldn't touch nuts for years after being told that.
When I was little, my parents told me that if I ate berries, I would go in an ambulance. So whenever I heard an ambulance, I thought someone had eaten berries.
The color , texture , and scent of canned peas were awful to me and I believed that eating them too many times would turn you into a poisonous ,sad fish . I was miserable because my mom always made me eat them and I thought I was slowly changing , but the only thing saving me was the antidote which were fresh corn and carrots.
This is actually my dad's childhood belief.
Every day, after dinner, HIS dad would go and get some hardtack, which is an unleavened bread-thing that was believed to help digestion. No-one understood why Alan (aka, my Dad) would FREAK OUT and beg his father not to eat the stuff.
It was because, almost every night on the radio, he would hear about someone dying of a heart attack, but he heard it as "dead, at age 66. Cause of death is reported as hardtack."
It is well known that tarantulas live in the end of bananas. When you open up the banana you have to discard the first 1/2 inch and the last half inch for obvious reasons of safety and non-ingestion of tarantulas
My mother told me if I ate chocolate before breakfast I would get worms. I believed this until I was about 10.
You could suffocate if you ate a bannana before you went to bed. Here's why. One night when I was about 5, I went to get the last bannana just before I went to bed. My older sister intercepted me. She told me that if you had a bannana before you went to bed, you could suffocate in your sleep. I believed her. I was also told that if I eat before I went swimming, I could die, so this made sense. I didn't eat bannanas at night for years. She ended up eating that bannana to "protect" me. The saddest thing is that she did the same thing to me a couple of months later with the last pickle.
Once when I was little I was at a restaraunt with my family and I was eating chicken. I picked up the chicken with my fork and saw the fork poking out of the other side of the food. Scared, I yelled "Theres a needle in my chicken!" My mom laughed and said "No, Its just your fork!"
My mother used to tell me not to chew on cough drops (probably to keep me from eating them like candy). Because of this, I came to the conclusion that they were poisonous, and biting or otherwise breaking them would release the poison. They were safe as long as they were sucked on until they either became so small as to be swallowed, or completely dissolved. I believed this until I was probably in my teens, when I accidentally bit into one and didn't die.