dangerous foodShow most recent or highest rated first.
i used to believe that blue smarties were poisonous; my mum told me if children ate them they would die, so i always had to give them to her.
i used to think that you used pepper spray to cook
I used to think that apples that were both red & green were poisoned (thanks to a too-early exposure to Snow White & The Seven Dwarves). I still can't eat apples that are both red and green.
Don't ask, but I used to think that we would eat "snake" for dinner. Even after I learned that steak and snake were two different words, I still had to wonder which kind of meat I was eating this time.
In 5th grade my best friend told me if I ate mashed potatoes for a meal without eating anything else, i would shrink. Her dad was a doctor so I believed everything she told me. For years I was terrified to eat mashed potatoes at all.
I used to think that Cherry Jello salad was called Cherry Botulism because my mom once told me not to put the bowl in the fridge with the spoon or that's what would happen. I was in High School before anyone corrected me and I called it that ALL THE TIME.
When i was little, I used to ponder over the way asparagus grew out of the ground in my neighbor's garden. My neighbor told me they were the "devil's fingers" and one day i got scared and ran over into the garden and stomped each and every one of those asparagus plants. My mother was not a happy camper after that one.
When I was little I heard my grandmother tell someone a story about a child who ate raisins and they swelled up and caused his stomach to burst and he had to have surgery to fix it. I was terrified of eating raisins for years after that until I found out it wasn't true.
When I was very little, these were probably gone before I even had my own bedroom tv with cable. There were Trix Yogurt commercials(I think this was for the yogurt only,) that IIRC had some kids in a black and white world and the rabbit came and GAVE them the yogurt and the ate it and made the world fill with color. This made me scared to eat the fun sounding yogurt because the world was in color, and I was scared something bad was waiting to happen if they were ate in a full color world.
I used to believe that the middle chocolate part of a feast ice cream was poisonous, i once saw my dad eating one and thought he was going to die. I shouted out for him to stop eating it and every one laughed at me.
My mom had 4 kids, all relatively close in ages. She had her hands full, to say the least! My sister Pamela used to “sneak” slices of mozzarella cheese whenever my mom made her famous chicken parmesan. Four kids = eight arms! After one meal where half the chicken was cheese-less, my mom decided to use a ruse to keep my sister’s fingers off the table. She told her that mozzarella cheese was poisonous until cooked. My sister, being sneaky, didn’t want to admit she’d already eaten two slices and became very frightened! She stopped eating the cheese! The plan worked, and mom was free to cook and watch the two younger kids without having to haunt over my sister’s shoulder. But my sister never forgot… and everyone else did! The white lie was caught when my sister started telling her high school friends that they couldn’t eat Polly-O string cheese because it was poisonous ‘raw’. When Pam came home to tell Mom the embarrassing tale, everyone roared with laughter. We had all forgotten that day in the kitchen, except for my sister! She carried that fear of mozzarella cheese with her for well over ten years.
When I was 5, my grandfather told me that if I drank water, it would make my insides turn to rust. I didn't start drinking water regularly until very recently, and I'm almost 30.
My sister convinced me that the juice that collects in the bottom of the ice pop plastic was poisonous to children under 10. I ALWAYS handed it over to her. Of course, then I did the same to my brother.
When I was about five years old, I was in a store with my mother at the checkout aisle. She wanted to buy candy for my sister and I, and picked out a pack of gum that had a picture of a kid with the top of its head exploding. I told her I didn't want it, so she said she would give it to my sister, and I started crying and wouldn't let her give it to her, either. I didn't want my sister's head to explode!
if you eat lucky charms, "Lucky, the elf" will come to you bed at night to cut you open so he can have his lucky charms back. my older brother told me this one.
When I was a child I wasn't allowed white bread, only brown bread. My mum was always going on about white bread being full of sugar and that I wouldn't grow properly if I continuously ate "rubbish like that." At the time, I took that to mean that if you ate white bread you'd never grow, at all, and that you'd be a child for the rest of your life; stay small for ever.
My brother used to believe that egg yolk was poisonsous and thus refused to eat it; he gave it to my dad instead, and he ate it. My bro used to brag in front of his friends saying "my dad can eat egg yolk!"
When i was little I used to think eating bugs was the only way to be cool in front of my friends. I found out eventually that this was not true. Eating bugs is not cool, it's just plain wrong.
my husband is still convinced that the cornflakes he ate one morning for his breakfast caused him to have to have his appendix out later that day. he shudders if he sees our son eating them.
When I started first grade, the "big kids" (i.e., third graders) in the school cafeteria told me some kids had died from food poisoning after eating cafeteria food. I believed them and brought lunch in a lunchbox that whole year.