dangerous foodShow most recent or highest rated first.
We were told that if you played with egg shells you would get worts !
I was told by my mum that eating sugar would give me worms.
Whatever that meant
that the green bit of cucumbers was poisonous
Once me and my frined were sick enoght to try a can of pepsi with half a bag of pop rocks and it donsnt make your mouch blow up.
When I was a kid I used to love Burger King fish sandwichs (called the Whaler) with a vanilla milk shake. My mom (from Pakistan) told me I should never drink milk with fish or it would cause me to have huge white spots all over my body. Once we saw a lady with huge white spots and my mom told me she drank milk after eating fish. She said I could drink milk first then eat fish and I would be ok, but never the other way around. I would still drink my milk shake after the fish just waiting for the white spots to appear. They never did. But I figured if ever they did appear, i would just keep drinking milk and eating fish until my whole body turned white. Then I would look ok.
I finally realized this was a Pakistani myth. But my mom still believes it. So do some of my uncles.
My mother always told my brother and I not to eat the last tiny pointed bit of a banana. She said it was alcoholic and we would get drunk.
Although I now know this is rubbish, I won't let my kids eat the last bit either. Why? Because they will get drunk of course!!!!
When I was a child, my older sister told that the little round pepper's in salami were "bird's eye's". To this day,I still cannot eat salami.My mother also believed that if you drank milk with chili,it would kill you,
I used to think that apples that were both red & green were poisoned (thanks to a too-early exposure to Snow White & The Seven Dwarves). I still can't eat apples that are both red and green.
My mother brought cotto salami home once for lunch meat and told us it was bologna. I thought the sliced peppercorns in it (purple on the outside & green inside) was poison, and I haven't touched bologna or lunch meat since then....I was 10 and now I'm 48.
My mom once told me that cookie dough is poisionis. So one time, while she was gone for a minute I ate some and I got Horrably sick. It turns out that I got salmanila poisoning from the eggs.
To this day I don't like cookie dough
when i was little i used to believe that when i opened the fridge a huge block of cheese would jump out an attack my nose because that's what giant cheese's do!
I used to believe that the tiny bits of food left in the gravy when you've finished eating were calories. I knew that eating too many calories was a bad thing, so I always made sure I left some.
I once heard on Newsround that if you ate burgers and drank coke it would poison you. So when we went to MacDonalds I would always made sure that I ate a few chips in between eating my burger and drinking my coke. Always careful they didn't mix in my mouth as that would poison me.
When I was 4, I deeply believed that eating ants is healty and even lenthen my life, so I ate "an ant a day" alive from my yard. I still remember the sour taste.
When I was a kid, my sister told me that
the ends of bananas were poisonous. I've
since realized that it's not true, but
I still never finish bananas, I always
eat right to the end, then throw it away.
I used to belive that if I ate orange peel it would expand in my stomach and blow me up.
When eating boiled eggs with my father,
he used to say that eating egg shell was
good for you as the egg shell used to
"cut the cords", my father believed this explanation was more than enough, and I never did find out what "the cords" were !
I was abut 8 when my Dad was teaching me how to crack and eat walnuts - he told me that you shouldn't eat the membrane bits in between an you should make sure that they get thrown away - I asked him why, and he told me that they were poisonous - I believed this until I was 18 and I still eat walnuts with some trepidation
When I was a child my mother never allowed us to have coffee only tea. When I asked her why she said that it would give you spots and make you bad tempered!This was a rule until I got to the age of about 14. Then I developed spots and I became bad tempered. So I said to my mum well I'm both of which you said I would become without drinking coffee, so now I might as well start drinking coffee. Even to this day whenever I am visting my Mum and drinking a cup of coffee I remind her of this.
My mom told me that if I ate uncooked cookie dough I would get worms living in my stomach. This fear lasted for years, even after ice cream companies started making varieties with names like "Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough". Later, as a young adult, I cautioned another adult who was licking the (cookie) bowl clean. My warning was greeted with a smirk followed by howls of laughter and accusations of believing everything my mother told me! Someone did tell me that uncooked flour can contain worms, but I think my mother was trying to protect the cookie dough more than she was trying to protect me!